Thursday, August 23, 2007

Coming Home Again


It is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally dead on the news front this week. Nobody signed, nobody dropped.

It sounds like Heaps will probably be missing a few games after his injury on Sunday. Apparently he was in the airport on crutches that evening. Could be just a cramp but crutches are never a good sign.

This means that James Riley will probably have to come in and start being really big really quickly. I liked what I saw from him early on in the season when he was filling in for Heaps on right back while Jay filled in for Parkhurst in the middle. He played well in his sub appearance after Jay went off injured as well, so I guess we will wait and see how good he can continue to be. The other option is Gary Flood, who played very well for a couple of weeks and then, if I remember correctly, let Eddie Johnson walk by him on his way to a hat-trick. Could be wrong. But I was pretty impressed with him early on in the season. Those two guys, plus the fact that Jay has been playing some really horrible soccer recently, leads me to believe that this will not hurt us at all.

The Washington Post's Steven Goff reports that Israel Sesay is coming to MLS this week. Because Toronto and Columbus are so horrible already have some drafting done, they cannot get him. We already have a fantastic young striker, yes, but apparently this kid is also amazing and we could possibly use him as a winger to replace GodNo Smith on the left. Plus he is seventeen, and Taylor isn't going to play forever.

We come back home to play the Red Bulls on Saturday. As Angel did not play in the Columbia v. Mexico game last night, we can expect him to try and be a menace in our back three. I really home we can go on a run of victories after last week's game because we will need it going into the last months of the season here shortly. I expect Steeeeeeeeve to be back in the lineup, and I think he and Shalrie will be playing deep defensive mid in order to compensate for our lack of defenders. Who knows what will happen though, Nicol likes to do things like that so that is what I'll go with. I can only hope Steve starts on the right, Shalrie isn't so defensive it hurts and Ginger can keep up with Jozy and Angel.

A note on Jozy Altidore: I know, I am a Revolution fan and by that fact alone I should hate everything that is New York but my God, that kid is amazing. He is a national-team quality starter that hopefully can help plead our U.S. case in Europe (where we fell 1-0 to Sweden yesterday).

Finally I was going to go on a rant about GodNo but I decided to hold off. I figured ten in the morning was not a good time to drink my sorrows away.

Have a good one, all.

No comments: